The Al Shamal Units are a very active and vibrant organization. They are the heart of our Temple along with our Clubs.
Please click on a unit photo or name below to learn more about each unit and its history and mandate.
Current Shrine Units
In 1952, a number of members of the Edmonton Shrine Club formed the first of many uniformed units known as the Arab Patrol which is made up of a minimum of 16 marchers and 8 flag bearers.
Clowns are an integral part of the Mystic Shrine and are referred to as “the Heart of Shrining”. Although we enjoy a good time, we do not do so at the expense of others, and the purpose of our clowning is serious.
The Director’s Staff has been operating for 81 years in Alberta. Membership stands at about 50 members. 35 of our members live in metro Edmonton and 15 outside Edmonton.
The Greeter’s Unit originated in 1931 when it was then known as the “Glad Hand Committee” whose job it would be to greet guests and make them welcome at Shrine gatherings.
In 1955, the Edmonton Shrine Club formed the Oriental Band with Nobles Herb Peet and Tommy Fox practicing without instruments. It was waste baskets with the bottoms removed and covered with aircraft fabric of brightly painted colors that caused the Edmonton Oriental Band to come into being.
The idea of the Legion of Honor Unit was born in 1993 at P.S.N.A. in Casper, Wyoming; and in September of 1994, Illustrious Sir Bruce Hogle gave the green light for the Unit that would comprise of eligible military and ex-military personnel.
The Edmonton Shrine Motor Corps was formed in 1966 and has earned the title “Signature Unit” in Al Shamal because of its ability to regularly place (and often win) competitions at PNSA and Imperial events. Motor Corps is an International Award Winning, precision drill team. We modify our complex completion routine for the enjoyment of spectators at parades.
The Patrol Arabs Unit was formed in 1954 as a Unit of the Edmonton Shrine Club under the jurisdiction of Al Azhar Shriners, Calgary, AB. It was originally comprised of Past Captains of the Arab Patrol Unit. More recently members have come from within other Units and many are still active with other Units.
The Pipes and Drums were originally formed under the name of the Pipe Band in 1969. In addition to performing bandsman, the members undertook responsibilities to assist with degree work in both the Canadian and York Rites.
Ponoka Fire Truck
The Ponoka Fire Truck Unit came into being in December of 1999 and began with 11 enthusiastic members. The Membership has doubled and is still growing.
The Provost Corps was formed in April of 1986 with 15 members. Of that group 11 remain active today. Noble Barry Wood was elected to serve as the first Captain of the Provost Corps.
The idea for the TLC Corps was formed in 1998 by 3 fine Al Shamal Nobles: Dennis Hooper; Bob Russell; and Laurie Niewchas. Noble Laurie returned from the PNSA that year he approached Nobles Bob and Dennis and expressed his desire to come up with an idea for a new Al Shamal Unit where fun and fellowship were the focus.
The Silver Wings were formed in 2008 by 5 novice Shriners. The ride of choice is a go cart type motorized unit with an airplane body (orange and silver wings) thus the name Silver Wings.
Any noble with a vintage car that is twenty five years or older, in good mechanical condition and in presentable appearance may join the vintage car unit of Al Shamal. Our annual dues are minimal. We attend as many parades as we are able.